- The intent of this award is to enable students to attend the college of their choice while building their career.
- In most cases, the Breining Scholarship award will be at least $1,500.
- Awards are usually given bi-annually on even numbered years, but will also be awarded in 2021.
- All awards must be applied to tuition and fees only. Recipients will be directly reimbursed upon submission of receipts for approved expenses.
- Winner will be presented at the Public Safety Cadets National Competitive Training Conference Summer Showdown in July.
Who is Eligible
- Any Public Safety Cadet who is in good standing with their local unit and graduating from high school within the next 18 months or is currently enrolled in undergraduate studies.
- Candidates will be evaluated according to their character, ethics, and demonstrated leadership in Public Safety Cadets and their community.
- High school seniors entering college and returning undergraduate college students attending accredited U.S. colleges or universities are eligible.
- Awards may only be granted to applicants who are active Public Safety Cadets in good standing with recommendation from their Unit Mentor and head of your sponsoring agency.
- Demonstrate a meaningful contribution to society both present and future.
- Demonstrate impeccable character and ethics.
- Demonstrate leadership abilities in their Law Enforcement Youth Organization and their community.
- The Foundation, in making grants does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, gender, sexual orientation, handicap, or national ethnic origin. Trustees of the James E. Breining Scholarship Award Foundation or their families are ineligible to receive these grants.
- Complete application packages with all supporting materials must be submitted between March 15th and June 15th. Incomplete packages will not be considered.
- Send complete applications with supporting materials to email@example.com . Only transcripts should be mailed hard copy to Breining Scholarship, 1201 Wall Avenue, Des Moines, IA 50315.
- Verify your eligibility with your Mentor before submitting an application to be sure that you qualify.
- The candidate must complete the application and include recommendations from the Unit Mentor and the Head of the sponsoring organization.
- Provide a 500-word (minimum) essay on "How I demonstrate character, ethics, and leadership in Public Safety Cadets and my community".
- Provide transcript of high school record (if in college, submit both college and high school transcripts).
- Provide a photo (preferably in uniform) for publicity purposes if selected.
Download the Application