- The intent of this award is to enable students to attend the college of their choice while building their career.
- In most cases, the Breining Scholarship award will be at least $1,500.
- Awards are given bi-annually on even numbered years coinciding with the National Law Enforcement Explorer Conference. The winner will be announced at the National Law Enforcement Explorer Conference in July. We encourage Award Recipients to participate in the Conference.
- All awards must be applied to tuition and fees only. Recipients will be directly reimbursed upon submission of receipts for approved expenses.
Who is Eligible
- Any Law Enforcement Explorer who is in good standing with their local Explorer Post and graduating from high school within the next 18 months or is currently enrolled in undergraduate studies.
- Candidates will be evaluated according to their character, ethics, and demonstrated leadership in Law Enforcement Exploring and their community.
- High school seniors entering college and returning undergraduate college students attending accredited U.S. colleges or universities are eligible.
- Awards may only be granted to applicants who are active Law Enforcement Explorers in good standing with recommendation from their Post advisor and head of your agency sponsor.
- Demonstrate a meaningful contribution to society both present and future.
- Demonstrate impeccable character and ethics.
- Demonstrate leadership abilities in Law Enforcement Exploring and their community.
- The Foundation, in making grants does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, gender, sexual orientation, handicap, or national ethnic origin. Trustees of the James E. Breining Scholarship Award Foundation or their families are ineligible to receive these grants.
- Complete application packages with all supporting materials can only be submitted between January 1 and March 31 of even numbered years coinciding with the National Law Enforcement Explorer Conference.
- Send complete applications with supporting materials to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only transcripts should be mailed hard copy to Breining Scholarship, 1201 Wall Avenue, Des Moines, IA 50315.
- Verify your eligibility before submitting an application to be sure that you qualify.
- The candidate must complete the application and include recommendations from the Post Advisor and the Head of the sponsoring organization.
- Provide a 500-word (minimum) essay on "How I demonstrate character, ethics, and leadership in Law Enforcement Exploring and my community".
- Provide transcript of high school record (if in college, submit both college and high school transcripts).
- Provide a photo (preferably in uniform) for publicity purposes if selected.
Download the Application